It's 28 February, the COVID-extended deadline for filing a self-assessment tax return without penalty.

Don't get a penalty and make sure you hit the deadline with this simple advice from untied, using the untied app.

(Note that this is advice for last minute filers and you’ll probably need to do an amendment after February. If you still have time, it’s better to use untied to connect bank accounts and get it right first go! And note that you will need your ten digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), sometimes referred to as just Taxpayer Reference.)

Use untied lite if you know your totals

Use untied Pro if you don't know your totals and your records are in your bank account

Three things you might not know:

1. You can include provisional numbers (indicate that you have done so in the final part of filing). If you need to correct anything after February, remember to use untied to amend your return

2. You have until 1 April to pay HMRC without penalty (there may be a small amount of interest)

3. If you’ve lost/ forgotten/ don’t know your HMRC or Gateway login, we can still help so long as you know your UTR (unique taxpayer reference – it’s ten digits long and will be on a previous tax return). You’ll need to email a scan of your passport/driving licence and some proof of address to So we can process it, this needs to be done by 9pm on 28 February!


Related Posts

Don’t forget to do these five things before tax year end

Up to 30 million people can reduce their taxes by taking simple steps before the tax year ends on 5 April 2022.  It’s nearly the end of the 20201/2022 tax year and there are five things you should make sure you’ve done before it concludes. This will ensure that you...

When is the best time to call HMRC?

Hundreds of thousands of people are still completing their 20/21 taxes at the moment and while services such as untied are helping people take control of their taxes, there are many reasons that someone needs to be contacting HMRC at this time. Anyone who has tried to...

What expenses can I claim if I'm self-employed?

If you're self-employed — for example a sole trader, freelancer, contractor, or property landlord — you’ll need to complete a self-assessment tax return each year and pay income tax on your profits. HMRC allows you to reduce the tax you pay by deducting some allowable...